I will be posting a meatless recipe every Wednesday. Enjoy better health by eating at least one meatless dinner a week. I promise you will enjoy this meal and not feel deprived.
Vegetable “Meat” Loaf
1 large red pepper, 1 tsp. Dijon mustard, 1 large green bell pepper,
2 pounds cremini mushrooms (coarsely chopped), 1 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup, 1/2 inch asparagus pieces, 1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil, 1 tbsp. ketchup, cooking spray
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, 2 large eggs (lightly beaten),
4 ounces fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese/grated
2 tbsp. ketchup, 1 tbsp. vegetable broth, 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Preheat broiler to high. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet, flatten with hand. Broil 12 minutes or until blackened. Place in a paper bag, fold to close tightly. Let stand for 10minutes. Peel and finely chop. Place bell peppers in a large bowl.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 1/4 mushrooms in a food processor, pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat procedure 3 times with remaining mushrooms.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan, swirl to coat. Add mushrooms to pan, sauté 15 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms to bell peppers in bowl. Wipe pan with paper towels. Add asparagus and onion to pan, sauté 6 minutes or until just tender, stirring occasionally. Add onion mixture to mushroom mixture.
- Arrange breadcrumbs in an even layer on a baking sheet, bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden. Add breadcrumbs and the next 8 ingredients (through eggs) to mushroom mixture, stirring well. Spoon mixture into a 9×5 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray, press gently to pack. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until 155 degrees.
- To prepare topping, combine 2 tbsp. ketchup and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, brush ketchup mixture over loaf. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, cut into 6 slices. Enjoy with a green salad.