It’s Wednesday again and I have a delicious meatless stuffed pepper recipe that you will love. Quinoa provides a serving of protein with the health benefits of whole grains.
1 medium onion finely chopped, 2 tbs. olive oil, 2 ribs celery finely chopped,
1 tbs. ground cumin, 2 cloves garlic minced, 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry), (2) 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes (drained, liquid reserved),
(1) 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained, 3/4 cup quinoa, 3 large carrots, grated, 1-1/2 cups grated reduced fat pepper jack cheese (divided), 4 large red bell peppers halved lengthwise, ribs removed.
- Heat oil in saucepan over med. heat. Add onion and celery, cook 5 minutes until soft. Add cumin and garlic, sauté 1 minute. Stir in spinach and drained tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in black beans, quinoa, carrots, and 2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med.-low, simmer 20 minutes until quinoa is tender. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour liquid from tomatoes in bottom of baking dish.
- Fill each pepper half with heaping 3/4 cup of quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. Cover with foil, bake 1 hour. Uncover, an sprinkle each pepper with 1 tbs. remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of peppers are browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Transfer peppers to serving plates, and drizzle with pan juices before serving.
Add a garden salad and you have a well balanced meal without the meat. Enjoy.
A glass of heart healthy red wine would go great with this meal also.