I have made these burgers for my family and even my meat loving husband liked them. They are a tasty, healthy, option to a traditional burger.
(1) 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained, 1/4 cup quinoa, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1/4 cup minced yellow or orange or red bell pepper, 2 tbls. minced onion, 1 large clove garlic, minced, 1-1/2 tsps. ground cumin, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce, 1 egg, 3 tbls. olive oil.
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan, reduce heat to med-low, cover and simmer until tender and water absorbed, approx. 15-20 minutes.
- Roughly mash the black beans with a fork leaving some whole in a paste-like mixture.
- Mix quinoa, breadcrumbs, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper sauce and egg into the black beans.
- Form 5 patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Cook the patties in the oil until hated through 3-4 minutes per side.
Serve on a whole grain bun or without the bun. Delicious topped with fresh raw spinach, cheese, and caramelized onions. Add a side salad, and sweet potato fries for a complete meal.