Stuffed Acorn Squash with Kale & Creminis
2 small acorn squashes, or 1 large, 1/2 cup uncooked millet, or quinoa, 2 tbls. olive oil, 1 shallot, chopped, 1 garlic clove, minced, 1.5 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped, 2 tbls. sherry vinegar, 2 cups chopped kale, 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage, 1/3 cup toasted pecans, 1/3 cup dried cranberries, 1/4 cup chopped chives, salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Slice squash in half and scoop out the middle, drizzle with 1 tbls. olive oil and few pinches of salt and pepper, Roast flesh side down for 20 minutes, flip over and roast for another 20-30 minutes until fork-tender and golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Cook the millet by placing 1/2 cup into a saucepan, turning the heat to low and toast for a few minutes, do not burn, add 1 cup of water, pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn heat off and let sit for 10 minutes still covered. Fluff with fork and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbls. olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped shallot, pinch of salt. Let that soften then add the mushrooms, garlic, another pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sherry vinegar, stir, then add the kale and chopped sage. Cook until kale wilts down, add the cooked millet, pecans cranberries and chives. Taste and adjust seasoning. Scoop the filling onto the roasted squash and serve.
This can be used as a side dish or main entrée.