February is heart month. In place of my usual meatless Wednesday posts I will be posting heart healthy information.
Today in addition I will include a heart healthy recipe for you to try.
8 Heart Healthy Diet Tips
- Control your portion control – be mindful of the number of servings you eat – and use proper serving sizes.
- Eat more fruit and vegetables
- Select whole grains
- Limit unhealthy fats and cholesterol (saturated, trans fat)
- Choose low fat protein sources (egg whites, legumes, fish, low fat or fat free dairy products, skinless poultry, lean ground meats)
- Reduce sodium intake (healthy adults no more than 2,300 mg a day, age 51 or older, African-Americans and people who have high bp, diabetes or kidney disease no more than 1,500 mg.
- Create menus using the six above strategies.
- Eat healthy foods most of the time but allow yourself an occasional treat
Chicken Scaloppini with Sugar Snap Pea, Asparagus, and Lemon Salad
1 pound julienne-cut trimmed sugar snap peas, 1 pound (1 inch )slices asparagus, 6 (6 oz.) skinless boneless chicken breast halves, 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, cooking spray, 1 cup fat-free, low sodium chicken broth, 1/3 cup dry white wine, 1 tablespoon Smart Balance, 1 tbsp. chopped fresh mint, 2 1/2 tbls extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tsp. grated lemon rind, 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, 6 lemon wedges.
- Steam peas and asparagus, covered, 4 minutes. Rinse with cold water, drain, chill.
- Place each breast half between 2 sheets of heavy plastic wrap; pound to 1/4 inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle with pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 2 breast halves to pan; sauté 2 minutes on each side. Repeat procedure twice with remaining chicken. Add broth and wine to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook until reduced about 5 minutes. Remove fro heat, stir in Smart Balance.
- Combine mint, oil, rind, and juice, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle oil mixure over pea mixture; toss gently to coat. Serve pea mixture with chicken and sauce. Garnish with lemon wedges.