The traditional Easter dinner usually is a nice ham dinner. If you are hosting and have a vegetarian guest it would be nice to offer a delicious main dish that is vegan. The recipe below is a great option and I guarantee even your ham eating guests will want to try a piece of this pie, so make sure you make several.
Layered Mushroom and Cannellini Bean Vegan Easter Pie
10 oz. mushrooms, 1 large red onion, 2-3 cloves of garlic, 200m vegetable stock, salt and pepper, small bunch thyme, 1 tbsp. balsamic glaze, olive oil for frying, 1 can cannellini beans, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 2 large handfuls spinach 4 sheets filo pastry, cut in half, vegan butter for brushing.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice mushrooms, finely dice red onion, crush garlic cloves, wash spinach
- Drizzle a little oil in a large fry pan and add the chopped red onion Cook for 6-8 minutes on medium heat until translucent and beginning to brown slightly. Add the crushed garlic for another minute.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for approx. 6-10 minutes until wilted and a lot of the moisture released has been evaporated.
- Then add the stock, balsamic glaze, seasoning and thyme simmer on a gentle heat for 15-20 minutes until you have a rich, thick sauce which can be separated by dragging a wooden spoon through the pan. Season to taste.
- In a blender add the cannellini beans, oil and seasoning and blend until you have a thick puree. You may need to stop the blender every now and then to scrape down the sides.
- Wilt he spinach, (in micro) then place the spinach between a few pieces of paper towels and squeeze out any excess liquid. Unwrap and put to one side.
- Grease your pie dishes and line with 2-3 layers of Filo pastry, brush with oil or vegan butter between each layer. First spoon in the bean puree and smooth down with back of a spoon, this will also help the pastry mold to the shape of the pie dish better. Top with wilted spinach, make sure you arrange it for an even covering. Top with mushrooms.
- Scrunch up the sides of the pastry and brush or spray with oil and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes. The pastry should be golden brown on top and the filling should be piping hot.
- Allow to cool slightly then either remove from the molds or serve in the pie dish.
- Serves 2