Here is a burger recipe for your Memorial Day non-meat eaters
Sweet Potato Black Bean Veggie Burger
1 medium sweet potato, 1/2 cup dry millet, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2 tblsp. fresh cilantro, 1 and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained, 1 cup corn, 1 tbls. olive oil, 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
1 ripe avocado, 3 oz. nonfat plain Greek yogurt, 1 tsp. fresh lime juice, 1/4 tsp. slat, 1 Roma tomato, diced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, bake sweet potato for 50-60 minutes or until soft
- Cook the millet until soft, 20-30 minutes
- Once potato is cooled, combine with oats, one cup of black beans, cilantro, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and 1 tbsp. oil in a food processor. Mix until smooth.
- In separate bowl, mix together the sweet potato mixture with remaining beans the corn, and millet
- Hat the remaining tbls of oil in a large pan on medium heat. Place heaping spoonfuls of the mixture onto the hot pan ,and use the back of the spoon to pat them flat and form four inch diameter patties, brown both sides of each burger.
- Mash avocado with a fork. Mix in the Greet yogurt, lime juice and salt. Stir in the tomatoes,and set aside.
- Serve on a bun with a dollop of avocado cream sauce.
- Enjoy and Happy Memorial Day